For more information contact:
Ms. Susan M. Palmer »
914-941-7575, ext. 5687 Cell: 914-806-0723
Public Invited to Tour
Maryknoll Sisters Center
Maryknoll, NY -- On Saturday, June 15, 2013, in conjunction with the celebration of the Ossining Bicentennial, the Maryknoll Sisters will hold a special open house at their center, 10 Pinesbridge Road, Ossining, NY, from 2- 4 p.m. giving tours of some of the special historical and architectural points of interest of the house, as well as assisting those who wish to give themselves tours of the well manicured grounds, statuary and grottos.
The tours, which will be offered free of charge, will be conducted by Sisters who are most familiar with the history of their congregation, including Sister Claudette LaVerdiere, MM, author of the award-winning book, “On the Threshold of the Future: The Life and Spirituality of Mother Mary Joseph Roger” and a former president of Maryknoll Sisters.
The open house will also include the opportunity for visitors to chat casually with our Sisters and refreshments.
Completed in 1932, the Maryknoll Sisters Center, then consisting only of the Main Building and known simply as the Motherhouse, was constructed in response to a burgeoning influx women interested in dedicating themselves to religious life, particularly in worldwide mission. As their numbers grew, the Sisters expanded the motherhouse, adding a three-story structure to its north side in 1956. Casually referred to as, simply, “the ’56 wing”, it currently houses many of the Center’s administrative offices. Then, in 1968, the Rogers building was completed. Connected to the main house by a three-story passageway with expansive windows on either side, providing a beautiful view of the grounds, the Rogers building served initially as the home of Mary Rogers College, where many of the Sisters studied prior to being sent to their mission locations around the world. It now houses the Maryknoll Mission Institute, the Rogers Library, assorted meeting rooms and Sister residences.
Since its founding in 1912, over 3,500 women have entered Maryknoll, serving in a variety of capacities in many nations of the world. Today the congregation numbers nearly 500, the eldest of them turning 106 in late June. They serve in 25 different nations, touching several different continents including Asia, Latin America, Africa, and the United States. Some are doctors and nurses, others writers, artists, theologians and musicians, and yet others psychologists, social workers, community activists, spokespersons to the United Nations, and much more.
For more information about the tour or Maryknoll Sisters, please call 914-941-7575 or visit our website: www.maryknollsisters.org
The Ossining Bicentennial Committee is pleased to announce that The Ossining Story: A Bicentennial Celebration 1813–2013 is now available for purchase. This special-edition souvenir journal commemorates Ossining’s 200th birthday, honoring its past and present. Ossining became the first incorporated village in Westchester County in 1813, when it was still known as Sing Sing.